This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Family search BYRNE

By Jackie Hipkiss
2007-02-04 18:10:01

Hello. I hope someone can help me to trace my mum's family. Mum (MARGARET MARY BYRNE but known as RITA) was born in 1933. Her parents were CATHERINE COWMAN (1909 – May 1951) and MATTHEW BYRNE (Dec 1910 – 5th Aug 1952). Catherine and Matthew were married probably in 1932 but I’m not certain of the date. The Byrne family lived in Dublin from at least 1933 onwards. From 1940 the family lived in CURLEW ROAD, DRIMNAGH, DUBLIN. Mum attended school at THE CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOUR where she was taught by SISTER CONCEPTION and SISTER DE PAUL. I believe she attended school in both FRANCES STREET and MOURNE ROAD but am unsure of the dates. She had 3 siblings,NUALA (b. Dec 1936), SHEILA (b. Apr 1944) and DESMOND (b. 13 Oct 1940). The Byrne family lived in Dublin from at least 1933 onwards. Mum left Ireland when she was in her teens but moved back briefly to marry dad. Her mother and father both died just over a year apart during mum’s absence. I think Nuala had left home by this time. Desmond went to live with his grandmother at Ardee Street in Dublin whilst Sheila, apparently, was sent to live at a children’s home run by nuns. Mum lost all contact with her brother and sisters.  
Mum married dad (THOMAS TERENCE but also known as TOM or MARTIN) O’HALLORAN in 1952 in MOURNE ROAD CHURCH DRIMNAGH. They moved back to England where dad was in the army and spent several years moving about from place to place. 
My mother's family also contains the name ENNIS. Claire ENNIS was born circa 1883. There are links with Dublin, Limerick and Wexford.  

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events