This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Hire a Car or Take the Bus/Train

By Eydie Freedman
2007-09-12 16:40:38

We have a group of 8 American adults who are traveling from Dublin (4 nights) to Kilkenny (1 night) and then onto Cork (1 night). 
Then, 3 of us will leave Cork and travel to Killarney (1 night) and finish in Limerick (1 night) before departing from the Shannon Airport. I know we're going to have to pack a lot in those 4-5 days. Is it more efficient to take the bus or hire a car? I'm concerned about driving on the opposite side of the road than what we're used to in the United States. I also hear it's very expensive to hire a car. Please help! Thank you!

By Dave
2007-09-12 16:47:38

As you're moving mostly between major cities and towns, the bus and rail services will be regular enough should you want to go with that option. There's some information at as well as links from there to the various bus company websites. 
Though with that many of you travelling, it might be worth your while as well as more convenient to hire a car. You shouldn't have much difficulty driving on the left, many a visitor has done it and finds it easier than they expect. It's not too expensive if you book in advance and shop around, take a look at for a selection of car hire companies and online quotes. While you're in Dublin you will probably find you'll make your way around on foot or on the local bus services, but certainly for the latter half of your trip where you're travelling around the country a hire-car would probably be a better option. 

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events