This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Irish births

By liz
2009-03-26 12:11:03

I am trying to trace two of my relatives for my ancestry research. My greatgrandfather William Lewin was born in 1848 in Caledon Co. Tyrone . I am trying to find his parents names. I believe he was born before registration began so I should look at parish records. I dont know which parishes or how to start.Any advice or information would be appreciated. I believe he was in the British army Middlesex reg so maybe his father was staioned there. Also his son Francis Robert Lewin born 1878 in Dublin. I know he served in the Boer war but cannot find anything afterward, whether he was married, had children or when died. Thankyou for any help.

By liz
2009-03-26 20:51:05

sorry i made spelling mistakes in e-mail address

By Patrick Hogan
2009-03-28 22:29:35

What Religion was this family? 
Patrick Hogan 

By lliz
2009-03-29 16:20:58

Thankyou for replying Patrick. I don't think Catholic, probally Church of England, not sure if that is the same in Ireland.Sorry, I hadn't thought about this before.I found William Lewin in 1871 census. He was 23 and living in Hyde Park barracks but no other information.

By Marguerite Thornton
2009-04-16 00:51:48

Hi Lizziebeth, 
I have been trying to trace my family also. You will get help as to how to go about it from The National Archives, Bishop Street Dublin 8, Tel. 3531890252424, email: They have reding rooms there if you're planning on coming over. The census for Ireland 1901 and 1911 are available on microfilm. The census for 1911 is online at the moment, but the only Northern Ireland counties up are Antrim and Down. I looked through it quickly and there are several Lewins there who could possibly be related to your grandfather. I found a good way of checking back is to get a marriage cert of a grandfather say and it will have the brides maiden name. Its a start!! Hope you can manage to find something.

By Marguerite Thornton
2009-04-16 00:58:52

Just googled and it gives listings of all places you could contact in Northern Ireland with lots of info online 
Good luck 

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events