This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

By gerard clegg
2010-01-28 22:01:36

Galway Roots? 
You have guest access to browse, login, or register. 
Duffy - Curran - Herward (Clonbur, Galway, Ireland) 
Patricia Duffy Terho - 07:51pm Feb 22, 2009 Irish 
I am getting nowhere in trying to trace my Duffy family ancestry in Ireland. I have my grandfather's birth certificate but I can find nothing further. It shows his name: MICHAEL JOSEPH DUFFY (born 3 Mar 1887 Dooghta, Oughterard, Clonbur, Ireland) His father: Michael Duffey was illiterate so names were entered by registrar on the birth record; his surname "Duffey" was entered with an "e", but his son Michael's surname was spelled "Duffy" on same record - no "e"). Mother: Bridget Curran. Grandfather: also named Michael Duffy, married to Sally Herward (her siblings were Martin, John, Margaret? - all from Clonbur). Sally's brother Martin Herward had a daughter named Mary born abt 1885-1888 (guesstimate). I have NO Duffy or Curran information. Almost all of the Herward information was gleaned from ship manifests of relatives sailing from Ireland to the US. My grandfather, above, (MICHAEL JOSEPH DUFFY) siblings were: John Francis Duffy (b: 1880 in Clifden); other siblings believed born in Oughterard: Martin b: ~1888; Ann b: ~1890; Bridget b: ~1895 (some of these dates are estimates). I believe my grandfather emigrated to the U.S. before 1906, but I run into a brick wall whenever I try to search for him or his ancestors in Ireland. Is there any chance that anyone can help me? thank you...Pat (Duffy) Terho / Portland, Oregon USA  
patricia knight - 02:05pm Mar 29, 2009 Irish (#1 of 2)  
Looking for gggrandparents John and Catherine(Duffy) Butte of county Galway, possibly Oranmore. I know of two of their children, my ggrandmother, Delia (Butte) Kane who married Thomas Kane in Lynn, MA in 1886 and Martin Kane who also lived in Lynn,MA., possibly others but I don't know. Both were born in Ireland in the 1860's and both immigrated to the USA--??when but living in Lynn, MA by the 1880's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Patti Knight  
samantha ryan-law - 07:16am Aug 6, 2009 Irish (#2 of 2)  
my mother... mary josephine daffy, was born to michael and mary daffy ne mcinerney in march 1943, they mis spelt their family name on a two of her older brothers, (john and michael)s birth cert as duffy and it never did get corrected. they lived in ennis rd, saint colmans terrace, gort, and we believe her father worked with horses. mum was the second youngest of seven, her mother died when she was only three years old, the older children were old enough to fend for them selves, her older brother michael, moved to the usa around this time, the youngest of the family, david, was taken on by another family, the other siblins came and went, her sister, ita ann, became a nurse in enland and at 14 mum joined her, but was left to fend for her self and to find her own way, it goes without saying that this part of her life was... eventful.. many bumps in the road for her aound this part of her life. she was so young at the time of her mothers death and with the rest of this poor family spreading out around the globe trying to make a brighter future for themselves she has always been left wondering, what really happened to her mum?? what was she like?? she had asked her sister when they first came to england but never seemed to get a straight answer. we have heard that her mother came from a comfortable family, (mcanerney's) who may have disaproved of her choice of spouse. it is believed that most of her siblins have died, but we are not sure what ever happened to her older brother michael who imergrated to america, has he a family? they would be known as duffy's, so please, if you have any knowledge or information about the duffy/daffy family, of gort galway, we would be most greatful and very interested to hear it.. mum konown at school as mary daffy would also love contact with anyone attending the mercey convent school in gort from 1947-59 to exchange stories and memories. many thanks samantha ryan-law daughter of mary josephine daffy.  

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events