This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Healy family history

By Terence Healy
2010-01-29 12:08:39

My father's side of the family all come from Castleisland, County Kerry. Thomas Healy and his wife, Catherine (nee Maher) arrived in Australia on the Highflyer in 1878. I believe Thomas' parents' names were either Thomas and Ellen (nee Dennehy) or Patrick and Ellen (nee Kennedy). The Thomas Healy who arrived in Australia in 1878 was born in 1842. I would love to know of any descendants of the parents who stayed in the home country.

By Jane Blake
2010-02-21 10:53:14

My great-grandmother, Catherine Healy (b.1846-1852, Castleisland)(she wasn't honest about her birhtdate on her marriage cert), arrived in South Australia in 1876 or thereabouts. She's always been a mystery to us as she didn't talk about her family much to her children. She had a brother, Thomas, who she said was an aide-de-campe to a Canadian governor. Thomas apparently died when he fell off a horse and broke his neck. But we never whether this was a story or whether something else happened to Thomas. 
Thomas and Catherine's father was Patrick Pierse/Pearce Healy, boot maker/leather merchant of Castleisland. Catherine said they had servants (she was quite snobbish according to family). There was also at least one sister, Minnie or Mary. 
Does anything from my info match up with your info? I have a hand coloured photo on glass of Thomas (at least we think it's him) which I've scanned and would be happy to email if you think there's any connection.

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events