This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Unwelcome campervans

By Diane
2011-06-30 15:55:38

Having just returned from 2 weeks touring in Ireland Cork - Conemara, I would like to know why almost all of the carparks have height restricters which do not allow campervans to enter. I have a lovely VW type 2 which could not fit under any of the barriers, in cities and towns, Cork in particular, we ended up driving round and round and then leaving. Even a trip to the beach in many area would not allow us into the carparks. One day we went to visit a stone circle, down a very narrow lane so no parking at the side of the road, when we arrived there was a carpark but with a height restricter on it. I know officials will say its to stop people camping out overnight but not everyone wants to do that. We felt very unwelcome and spoke to many people on campsite who had found very similar experiences - Do you want tourists or not.

By Helen
2011-07-03 12:01:22

Hi Diane, 
This is a problem in Ireland alright.We have been motorhoming in Ireland for 10 years now and we have brought this subject up on numerous occasions. 
We now know where to go ( and there is plenty,plenty places )and where not to go. 
We have been given 2 reasons for the barriers to be in place. 
1. To keep out some of Irelands minority etnical groups . 
2. Hotel owners are a very powerful lobby group in Irish political circles and it is in their best interest to make it as awkward as possible for the growing number of campervan owners to spend the night anywhere else other than in their establishments.

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events