This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Hart and Kelly

By Karen
2006-01-16 19:20:12

My grandfather's grandparents were Rebecca Kelly and Samuel Hart who married March 15, 1840, in Clare Church (Presbyterian, I think) and left soon after to make their home in Ontario, Canada. I believe they might have been from a town named Cavan (not in Co. Cavan, apparently, but in Co. Armagh). Where is that town in Co. Armagh? Is it near Clare? Or is Clare a town? Sorry to seem to blockheaded, but it is difficult to figure out these towns (I am from Maine, USA) Please email me. And thank you so much.

By Phil Brown
2006-01-19 21:19:24

I have never heard of a town called Cavan in Co. Antrim. However there is a town called Cavan in Co. Cavan. It is usually called Cavan town. Clare is a county and there is no town called Clare. I know it is somewhat confusing, but they are the facts. Some counties have towns with the same name as their county names, but not all. For example Co Kilkenny has Kilkenny, Co. Dublin has Dublin, Co. Kildare has Kildare. Counties such as Clare, Louth, Kerry and Mayo for example have no town with the same name as their county. If you want any other information just send me an E mail 
Regards , Phil

By Sylvia
2007-10-09 00:13:35

Have just read your message - I am from Co Armagh - have never heard of Cavan in Co Armagh, but there are at least two places I've heard of called Clare - townlands or villages more than towns though. Try around Gilford, Tandragee area in Co Armagh! 
I wish you luck 

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events