This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

The First Great Train Robbery

By David Jenkinson
2006-06-16 12:07:23

I am trying to find the filming locations for the 1979 movie 'The First Great train Robbery' which was filmed in Dublin. 
Principally I am trying to track down the railway station used to double for the London Bridge station interiors. 
I am led to believe form my research so far that it was a goods station in Dublin, although any further investigation into whether the staion is still standing and where exactly it is/was has proved fruitless. 
Can you be of any help. 
Anything at all would be greatly obliged. 

By Editor
2006-06-18 23:14:04

The RPSI (Rail Preservation Society of Ireland) website mentions Cork, Dublin-Heuston, and Moate as filming locations: see They may have further details if you contact them.

By Patrick Lane
2006-07-16 21:23:07

Hi, I remember the work on this film as the train journey itself took weeks to film around my home town, Moate, and was a very big local event at the time. 
Dublin-Heuston was used for the London Bridge Station. The interior set was purpose built and as the structure was temporary, it was removed afer filming. 
Moate Railway Station in County Westmeath was used for Ashtown and the track from Moate to Mullingar was used as the route from London to the coast.  
This railway is currently unused but is still intact and in need of restoration. There is an active campaign to have it restored. 
Moate Station was a very well kept station but with the closure of the route it has fallen into a a poor state of repair. It is a lovelly old station and can be brought back to life quite quickly if the present campaign succeeds. 
Cork Station was used for the Terminal.  
The old train that was rebuilt for the purpose was kept in Bray for along time after the end of filming (near the Ardmore Studios) but I have no idea where they are now.

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events