This site uses cookies to improve your experience, to show relevant advertising, and as part of the online booking process. For more information, see our Cookie Policy. By continuing without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to accept cookies.

Electricity question

By Kelly Daniels
2006-07-11 05:08:29

Is it true that the Republic of Ireland uses 220v AC, and Northern Ireland uses 240v AC? Is this something I need to worry about? If I buy a device that works up to 220V, can I use it in an area that is set up for 240V, or is that enough of a difference to damage it?  
If anyone knows the answer to this, can you please reply to me at kldaniel @ (make sure you don't include the spaces, of course). I am posting this question everywhere, and I will probably forget which places to check for replies. 
Thanks very much! 

By Alan
2006-08-03 10:35:52

The voltage in Northern Ireland is 240V, 50AC. (The US runs on 110V, 60AC.) To prevent a US appliance running twice its usual speed and burning out, buy a converter - or dual voltage appliance (eg hair dryer). You can also buy a plug before you leave to fit different socket configurations.  
20V is not enough of a difference to damage the item.

Post a Message!

Your message, and all details you enter below, will be published to the message board for others to read and reply to.

E-Mail: (optional)

Find Accommodation

Ireland Events