Leap is a village in County Cork, Ireland, situated at the north end of Glandore Harbour, several miles inland from the seacoast. Leap is also the biggest village in County Cork as it has the most acres in townlands.
Its full Irish name means "O'Donovan's Leap" and is derived from the story of a chieftain called O'Donovan, who was pursued by English soldiers, but escaped them by jumping across a ravine at the bottom of the village.
Leap is located on the N71 national secondary road which runs through West cork from Cork city . It is in the parish of Kilmacabea which also includes Glandore village.
In 1684, Jeremiah O'Donovan , Lord of Clan Loughlin, obtained letters patent from Charles II of England. His extensive landholdings in the surrounding countryside were erected into the Manor of O'Donovan's Leap, or the Manor of the Leap.
The above text is an extract from a recent revision of the Wikipedia article Leap, County Cork, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0
Tell us about any upcoming major events in Leap and we can add to our website!