Tour Code: 12489P17
Duration: 8 days
Immerse yourself in the West of Ireland for an idyllic holiday as you discover this part of Ireland with a “local” on the Wild Atlantic Way. From delicious food, to outdoor activities, to local Irish culture and heritage, you will be amazed at how much you will discover as you uncover all that makes this region so unique. You’ll feel at one with nature during the day and the friendly Irish people will help you feel right at home as you embrace rural life. And by the time you leave, you’ll have had a taste of Irish life that is guaranteed to leaving you wanting more.
• Day 1: You arrive to the capital of Mayo – Castlebar town. Here, your Guide will meet you at 16.00 hours, introduce you to your other group members & whisk you away to the western reaches of this glorious region to reach Achill Island. This is your base for your next 2 nights and your Guide will brief you on the coming days of your holiday & ensure you are properly prepared for each day. You will then walk to a nearby restaurant to enjoy your first dinner together & experience island
• Day 2: Achill Island - Leaving your accommodation, you reach a magnificent lake hidden in the mountains in an idyllic setting which supplies most of the island with its water. Walk Details – Distance: Up to 14kms.
• Day 3: Mulranny to Westport - Leaving this beautiful island, you then continue south east to reach the town of Mulranny. Before leaving Achill, your Guide will take you to see the beautiful Keem Beach – voted Ireland’s best beach! Walk Details – Distance: Up to 16kms.
• Day 4: Clare Island - Your day starts today with a glorious drive around the shores of Clew Bay to then reach a small harbour on the western tip of these shores. From here, you take a small ferry across to the magnificent Clare Island. Walk Details – Distance: Up to 16kms.
• Day 5: Croagh Patrick - Today is your day for experiencing a pilgrimage as you hike the iconic mass of Croagh Patrick. No trip to Mayo is complete without a journey to the “Reek” and as it dominates the landscape, so it features in so much conversation around the locality. Walk Details – Distance: Up to 14kms.
• Day 6: Kilary Harbour - Today, you travel south through a wild & untouched region of mountain and bogland to reach the village of Leenane at the eastern end of Ireland’s only fjord – Killary Harbour. Walk Details – Distance: Up to 10kms.
• Day 7: Inishbofin Island - Your final day takes you by ferry from Cleggan Pier to the beautiful island of Inishbofin – awash with history, tradition & wonderful people. This is a day of discovery as you enjoy a circular walk around this historical island. Walk Details – Distance: Up to 16kms with some “cut off points” for those wanting shorter distances.
• Day 8: Departure - After your final and substantial Irish Breakfast, you will take the ferry back to the mainland & transfer by minivan to reach the bus & train station in Galway. From Galway, you can then avail of the excellent bus/train service to all major airports, cities & ferry ports in Ireland. Your estimated arrival time to Galway is approx. 11.00am.