The Abbey of Kilmoney was located just half a mile to
the West of this restaurant (at Captain's Boreen) and is
thought to have been an offshoot of Gill Abbey, founded
by St. Finbarr of Cork. It was probably associated with the church at Kilnagleary which has been dated back to the 7th century.
It has been a ruin since Cromwellian times and all that remains is a south-west gable in a wooded area of land reputed to be the Abbey graveyard.
The associated church in Kilnagleary was located near the Industrial Estate on the Crosshaven Rd. It probably suffered numerous Viking raids and it is recorded in the Annals of Innisfallen that in 1088, Dermot O'Brien arrived with a naval expedition, raided the church and stole relics of St.Finbarr.
The raiding party were pursued and in the subsequent battle two hundred of the raiders were slain.
Note: Map is an approximate indication ONLY. Please contact The Abbey Restaurant for directions and precise location prior to your visit.