Killadeas is a small village in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. It is about 7 miles north of Enniskillen near the shores of Lower Lough Erne. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 90 people. History[edit sourceÂ | edit]
In the cemetery of the Parish "Priory" Church of Killadeas are several stones, the most noted of which is known as the Bishops Stone, a carved figure. To the west of this stone is a large slab, one side of which has at least ten cup-shaped hollows, which is possibly a multiple bullaun stone. Near to this is a hole stone and a pillar.
Near Killadeas, on Lower Lough Erne, is Gublusk Bay, a Royal Air Force base for Short Sunderland and PBY Catalina flying boats during World War II. Building at RAF Killadeas started in January 1941 and the first Catalinas arrived two months later. The site is now the home of the Lough Erne Yacht Club.
The Manor House , a converted and extended 19th-century country manor, is also in Killadeas. The Killadeas Estate was acquired by Captain J. Irvine in 1660, and the Manor House, formerly known as "Rockfield" remained part of the Irvine Estate until 1957, when it was purchased for use as a hotel. The Manor House, which has seen many alterations to its design over the centuries, was for a brief period used as an Officer's Mess and Headquarters for the American Forces during World War II. References[edit sourceÂ | edit] NI Neighbourhood Information Service Megalithic Ireland - Killadeas Killadeas Stones Northern Ireland Airfields History of The Manor House External links[edit sourceÂ | edit] Killadeas Pipe Band World War II Airfields - Killadeas Killadeas Church and Churchyard
54Â°26â²03â³N 7Â°40â²57â³Wï»¿ / ï»¿54.4341Â°N 7.6826Â°Wï»¿ / 54.4341; -7.6826
The above text is an extract from a recent revision of the Wikipedia article Killadeas, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0
Tell us about any upcoming major events in Killadeas and we can add to our website!