This article is about Clonard, County Meath. For other uses, see Clonard.
Clonard is a small village in County Meath, Ireland. It lies on the R148 regional road between the towns of Kinnegad and Enfield. This road was the main road between Dublin and Galway until the construction of the M4 motorway - it is still used by traffic avoiding the toll on the M4. Clonard Clonard Motte
It is notable for being one of the earliest Christian sites in Ireland, being linked with the first Irish bishop Palladius c.450 and as the location of a major early medieval monastery, founded in the 6th century by St. Finnian.
Circa 1177, Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath, build a motte-and-bailey fortification at Clonard. It is a well-known landmark in the village.
Common family names to be found in the local catholic church graveyard are Gannon and Mitchell. See also[edit sourceÂ | edit] List of towns and villages in Ireland References[edit sourceÂ | edit] edit sourceÂ | edit] Official Meath Tourism website Unofficial village site
The above text is an extract from a recent revision of the Wikipedia article Clonard, County Meath, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0
Tell us about any upcoming major events in Clonard and we can add to our website!