Coney Island, in County Sligo, Ireland, is one of several islands of the same name off the coast of Ireland. It is an island of approximately 400 acres and is named after the vast quantity of rabbits which can be spotted on the island at any time is an English word for a rabbit or rabbit hair, deriving from the Latin cuniculus, meaning "rabbit").
In 1862 the island had a population of 124 people, with 45 children attending the local school. The island now has only one family of permanent inhabitants but has many other temporary residents, especially in the summer months. The island gained electricity in 1999 via an underground cable.
The above text is an extract from a recent revision of the Wikipedia article Coney Island, County Sligo, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0
Tell us about any upcoming major events in Coney Island and we can add to our website!