The bridge in Coagh which crosses the Ballinderry river; on the left is County Londonderry; on the right is County Tyrone
Coagh .) is a small village in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, situated five miles east of Cookstown. Part of the village also extends into County Londonderry. It had a population of 545 people in the 2001 Census. It owes its existence to George Butle Conyngham of Springhill, and was founded in 1728 when King George II granted Conyngham a market charter allowing the village to host 4 fairs per year.
The village nestles among gentle low lying land between the Sperrins and Lough Neagh. The main feature of the village is Hanover Square, which was named after the reigning Hanoverian King George II by Conyngham. The village has been an ancient settlement for several thousand years, overlooking Coagh is Tamlaght Stone a mesolithic dolmen erected circa 4,500BC.
The above text is an extract from a recent revision of the Wikipedia article Coagh, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0
Tell us about any upcoming major events in Coagh and we can add to our website!
24 Hanover Square, Coagh, Cookstown, BT80 0EF, Co. Tyrone