Malahide is a pretty town in County Dublin located 16km (10mi) north of Dublin City Centre. The sea has influenced much of the development of the town. The broad Velvet Strand stretches to the horizon and is very popular with swimmers and water sports enthusiasts. One of modern Malahide’s key features in the 300-berth marina making it place a very popular place for sailors. Thus Malahide is a popular destination for Irish and International yachts visiting the area.
Malahide is familiar place to those who like good food. With an array of restaurants renowned for the quality and diversity of their food representing numerous nationalities. This town is a wonderful place to visit. There are a selection of good pubs with traditional music.
Malahide has become one of Dublin city's satellite towns in but the town can be dated back to the 12th Century when a castle, Malahide Castle was built here and Sir Richard Talbot was made Lord of the Malahide Estate. This castle is open to the public and is one of Dublin’s favourite places to visit. Also in the ground of the castle are a model railway museum, and an arboretum. Malahide was a prosperous industrial centre during the 18th and 19th Centuries. A silk factory, cotton manufacturing, salt works and cod liver oil manufacture are just some of the trades that were here. The introduction of the railway from Dublin in the 19th Century transformed Malahide into a residential area and a tourist destination for Dubliners. Despite some modernisation Malahide largely maintains its character.
Getting To and Around Malahide
For information on getting to and around Co. Dublin, see our Co. Dublin Transport Guide.
Rail to Malahide
Malahide, Co. Dublin is served by Malahide.
Bus to Malahide
- Dublin Bus provide an extensive local bus service to Dublin City and its suburbs and surrounds. The following Dublin Bus routes serve Malahide:
- DART Station - Terminals 1 and 2
- Terminals 1 and 2 - DART Station
- University College Dublin - Wendell Avenue
- Wendell Avenue - University College Dublin
- Gardiner Street - Garda Station
- St. James's Terrace - Gardiner Street
- Millview Road - University College Dublin
- University College Dublin - Millview Road
- Gardiner Street - Wendell Avenue
- Wendell Avenue - Gardiner Street
- Dublin Bus's Nitelink services provide the following late-night bus services to Malahide:
- Strand Road
Places to Eat and Drink
Malahide Websites and Links of Interest
- Malahide Community Website
- Malahide Historical Society
- Malahide on Wikipedia
- Old Yellow Walls