Originally a Norman borough town. In the middle of the seventeenth century the Ormonds made it part of Kilkenny. It was returned to the county by Act of Parliament in 1846. Durrow is a planned estate village, developed under the patronage of the Viscounts Ashbrook. Possibly Durrows finest feature is the suite of buildings around the Green under the gates and battlemented wall.
The first great Palladian house in this part of Ireland, Castle Durrow, built in 1716 lies at the centre of this town. The house, now a convent can still be viewed from the outside. Durrow was a planned town built in the late 18th century, although there has been people living in the area since medieval times. Durrow was part of Kilkenny from the 17th century until restored to Laois in the 19th century. The village is on the banks of the River Erkina, an excellent place for trout fishing.
Map of Durrow
Getting To and Around Durrow
For information on getting to and around Co. Laois, see our Co. Laois Transport Guide.
Public Transport to and around Durrow
828 Midland Regional Hospital Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
828 Josephines Urlingford Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
828 Portlaoise Railway Station Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
828 Cashel, stop 255231 Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
828 Portlaoise Centre, stop 155321 Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
828 Durrow Bus route operated by M&A Coaches
831 Bus route operated by Slieve Bloom Coach Tours
831 Portlaoise Centre, stop 155321 Bus route operated by Slieve Bloom Coach Tours
831 Laois SC, stop 155252 Bus route operated by Slieve Bloom Coach Tours
Public transport route information is Irish Public Sector Data licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Places to Stay in Durrow
- Weir View Bed and Breakfast Tinweir
Places to Eat and Drink in Durrow
- Castle Arms Hotel The Square, Laois
- Castle Durrow Restaurant @ Castle Durrow Hotel Castle Durrow Country House Hotel, Dublin to Cork Road
- The Copper Kettle (Laois) The Square
- Woodview Restaurant Bishopwood