This town is divided into two counties by the River Barrow, Laois and Offaly. The most historically interesting feature in the town is the Protestant church of St. Pauls. Portarlington was founded in 1666 by Sir Henry Bennett ( Lord Arlington) of the same family which had built Emo Court. Lord Arlington had been granted much of the land which had been confiscated from the Irish natives.
A French Huguenot colony was established in the late 17th century and the town became a centre for silver and banking.
A small museum is located in the town who's exhibits include a 4000 year old axe head.
Map of Portarlington
Getting To and Around Portarlington
For information on getting to and around Co. Laois, see our Co. Laois Transport Guide.
Public Transport to and around Portarlington
816 Bus route operated by Dublin Coach
Public transport route information is Irish Public Sector Data licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Places to Eat and Drink in Portarlington
- Charter Bar Midlands Park Hotel, Portlaoise
- Egan's Bar & Restaurant Main Street
- Great India Restaurant French Church Street
- Nino's Restaurant Main Street
- Oriental New Star Main Street
- The Anvil Inn Main Street
- Treacy's The Heath, Portlaoise
- White Horse Lodge Portlaoise Road, Mountrath
- Wilton Restaurant Main Street