Moate on the main Dublin/Galway road is an important market town in the centre of a rich cattle raising area. The town derives its name from the remarkable mound of Mota Grainne Oige, which rises beside it. Grainne Og was the wife of O'Melaghlin, chief of the district, who had his residence here.
Map of Moate
Getting To and Around Moate
For information on getting to and around Co. Westmeath, see our Co. Westmeath Transport Guide.
Places to Stay in Moate
- Grand Hotel (Moate) Main Street
Things to Do in Moate
Places to Eat and Drink in Moate
- Dr Cuppaiges The Tanyard
- Dracula Bar and Restaurant Church Street
- The Auld Shebeen Main Street
- The Grand Hotel (Moate) Westmeath
- The Oakleaf Restaurant Grand Hotel
- The Pantry Restaurant (Moate) Main Street
- Tuar Ard Church Street