Sometimes known as Newtownbarry, this interesting settlement features an unusual stream with a series of small scale waterfalls in the main street. With many interesting buildings, it offers the flavour of a long established settlement in the tranquil Slaney River Valley
Bunclody lies in the shadow of the 2610ft Mount Leinster. The Barry-Maxwell family acquired the town and its surrounding lands in 1719, and it was Judith Barry-Maxwell and her son Bishop Henry Maxwell who diverted water from the River Clody to provide the town with a water supply.
In 1776 the Barry-Maxwell family built an elegant Protestant parish church, in fact the family was so influential in the the town that Bunclody was once named Newtownbarry, until 1950, when it reverted to it's original name, meaning 'mouth of the river Clody'.
The town has seen a fair share of turmoil down through the years. It was attacked during the rebellion of 1798 resulting in 300 dead and 40 houses burnt. In 1831 the local yeomanry opened fire on protestors in an event that came to be known as the Battle of the Pound. In 1727 Richard Annesley assumed the ownership of the Bunclody estates by having the rightful heir, James, his 12 year old nephew sold into slavery in America.
Map of Bunclody
Getting To and Around Bunclody
For information on getting to and around Co. Wexford, see our Co. Wexford Transport Guide.
Public Transport to and around Bunclody
368 Bunclody, stop 136281 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 Tullow, stop 355564 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 The Quay, stop 355461 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 Templeshannon, stop 355522 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
376 Bus route operated by Wexford Bus
Public transport route information is Irish Public Sector Data licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Places to Stay in Bunclody
- Meadowside B&B Meadowside, Ryland Street
Places to Eat and Drink in Bunclody
- American Style Diner The Square
- Bia Alainn Main Street
- The Chantry Market Square
- The Millbar Bistro @ The Millrace Hotel Bunclody