The name of this town means ' island of the Corthaige' a people who lived there in the 4th and 5th century. It was first settled by a follower of St Patrick, St Seanan during the 5th century. At the top of Castle Hill stands the turreted fortress founded by the Normans in 1205. In the 16th century it was given to the poet Edmund Spenser in reward for the poem 'The Faerie Queen'. The castle is now a Historical and Folk museum.
On the east bank of the River Slaney is Vinegar Hill, the scene of the 1798 rebellion, where the rebels used a ruined windmill as a makeshift fort and held out for nearly a month. The top of the hill gives a spectacular view of the countryside, from the winding River Slaney to the blue-topped Blackstairs Mountains.
Map of Enniscorthy
Getting To and Around Enniscorthy
For information on getting to and around Co. Wexford, see our Co. Wexford Transport Guide.
Public Transport to and around Enniscorthy
Rosslare Europort Service Rail service operated by Irish Rail
368 Templeshannon, stop 355522 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 Tullow, stop 355564 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 The Quay, stop 355461 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
368 Bunclody, stop 136281 Bus route operated by Local Link Wexford
376 Bus route operated by Wexford Bus
Public transport route information is Irish Public Sector Data licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Places to Stay in Enniscorthy
Things to Do in Enniscorthy
- National 1798 Visitor Centre Parnell Road