Thing to Do Category: Historic Buildings
- Contact InformationAddress: Belfast Castle
Northern IrelandPhone: +44 28 9077-6925
The fascinating story of cave Hill, Belfast Castle and the Cave Hill Country Park is told in the newly refurbished Cave Hill visitor Centre. New displays provide an insight into the past, and a flavour of the present…
- Find out about the people who once lived on Cave Hill, who built Belfast castle, and about the social ‘parties’ once held on the slopes below the caves.
- Discover how old Cave Hill is, how it got its name, and what rocks lie beneath the surface.
- Read the story of how Belfast Castle came to be built, of the families who lived there, and see how the rooms might have looked in the 1920s when the castle was a family home.
- Relive the ‘heydays’ of Bellevue Pleasure Gardens, the Floral Hall, and Bellevue Zoo.
- Experience the sights and sounds of the Cave Hill country Park, an amazing site so close to the city, yet retaining a wild and remote quality.
- Learn about some of the plants and animals that live within differing areas of the hill – woodland, meadows, heath, the cliff face and two nature reserves.
The Centre is divided into four separate rooms. One room tells the story of people on the hill, from Stone Age up to current times; another looks at the natural setting, views both of and from the hill, geology and wildlife. A compact audio visual room shows an 8 minute presentation entitled ‘Watching Over Belfast’, the story of Belfast Castle and Cave Hill, while the fourth room has been set up as a 1920s style bedroom where a bride-to-be prepares for her wedding. A collection of photographs illustrates the changing fashions in weddings at the castle since 1940s to the present day.
The Cave Hill Visitors Centre is now open free of charge to all. It is sited on the second floor of Belfast Castle and can be visited at any time between 9:00am and 10:00pm Monday to Saturday, and 9:00am to 6:00pm Sunday.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.