Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed over a thirty year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de Lacy was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1176 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare, (Strongbow).
Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun c.1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty-sided tower, which is cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat.
This magnificent site experienced a renaissance in 2000 when it opened to the public after an extensive period of excavation and restoration. Access to the keep is by guided tour only for safety reasons. Visitors also have access to the grounds of the castle where interpretation panels allow for self-guiding.
Access for visitors with disabilities is very restricted. Please note: some of the stairs in the keep are very steep and narrow; the keep is not accessible for visitors with disabilities and there is restricted access to the grounds for visitor with disabilities.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.